For many, the purchase of their first home is one of the biggest decisions they will ever make. Being a new homeowner undoubtedly brings a lot of responsibility along with it. With a long checklist of items to be taken care of in your home, pest-proofing shouldn’t be overlooked.
Pest-proofing a home is easier said than done, but by taking a few simple steps, you could be on your way to living pest free in your new home.
Here are some quick and easy home pest prevention tips:
- Direct rainwater from downspouts away from your home’s foundation
- Identify and address areas of standing water in your yard or planters outside your home
- Store firewood at least 20 feet away from your home
- Identify and seal any openings in the foundation of your home to keep ants out
- Keep mulch away from your home’s foundation. Consider landscaping with stone instead
- Trim back tree branches and shrubs that are in contact with or hang over your home
- Double check your screens to make sure there are no holes that allow for pest entry
- Keep dark areas such as garages and basements clean and de-cluttered to keep spiders out
- Keeping your kitchen and bathrooms clean will help prevent cockroaches
While these suggestions will help get you started, pests can still find their way inside. If you encounter an infestation, it’s best to call a pest professional to take care of the problem.
Check out the video above from the National Pest Management Association for more tips.