Wild animals in Wisconsin can sense when summer comes to an end. To prepare for the harsh, cold winter ahead, all kinds of wildlife look for reliable winter-long shelters. Unfortunately for us, this means that rodent problems are inevitable. Because mice and rats can be so sneaky and adaptable, it can be hard to tell if you’re in the middle of an infestation, let alone where they are nesting. To learn more about rodent infestations and how you can prevent them, read on for the expert advice of our rodent exterminators at Batzner Pest Control!
Why Do Rodent Infestations Happen in Fall?
Just like everyone else in Wisconsin, rodents have to take precautions in the warmer parts of the year to prepare for the freezing winter to come. It’s usually quick work for rodents to find everything they need in our homes. These are the three things they need to survive:
- Warmth: Mice and rats do not hibernate, so they need to find a reliable source of warmth to help them through the winter.
- Shelter: Some rodents, especially mice, are essential to their ecosystems as prey. They need a good hiding place for the winter and can often find it in our walls.
- Food: Although rodents can go for longer than you would expect without food, they are always on the hunt for a meal, preferably one loaded with carbohydrates.
How to Keep Rodents Out
Rodents can be one of the most difficult pests to control by yourself, but their inconspicuousness makes them much more difficult to remove from your home than to keep out in the first place. Here are some prevention strategies you can take at home to avoid a mice or rat infestation this fall:
- Block off any easy access points—this could mean fixing screens on windows and vents, applying weather stripping on doors, and filling cracks in your plumbing fixtures and roofing.
- Clean dishes and spills right away and store your food properly, sealed in airtight containers.
- Keep your grass cut short, clear out your yard waste often, and refrain from using mulch near the foundation of your home.
Get Ahead of Rodent Control in Wisconsin
There’s no better time than the fall for rats, mice, and more to figure out where they will be staying through the winter. This also means that there’s no better time for us to start working on preventing infestations. If you need help making your home completely rodent-proof this fall, reach out to your local rodent control experts. Our technicians at Batzner Pest Control have been helping Wisconsin homeowners protect their properties since 1946. Contact us today for a free quote!
Need a pest control estimate?
We'll call you! Our representatives are fast and friendly.