An overwintering pest is any insect or nuisance pest that will enter your home to wait out the colder months of the year. Insects and wildlife alike will make themselves at home right in your residence, and can often be found in your attic or basement. Especially in Wisconsin, there are many pests that look to escape the dropping temperatures outside. These include rodents, squirrels, and bats. No homeowner wants any pests hunkering down for the winter with their family, which is why it’s so important to learn how to prevent overwintering pests in your home.
What Pests Overwinter in the Attic?
Your attic provides an escape from the cold Wisconsin winter temperatures outdoors. Here’s what pests to look out for this winter:
- Bats: Big brown bats will roost in an attic and use it as their cave. Their presence causes a lot of mess to clean up.
- Raccoons: Raccoons are strong climbers and can make their way into your attic to escape dropping temperatures outside.
- Squirrels: The attic is the perfect place for squirrels to burrow and hide out the colder months of the year.
- House mice: These mice prefer secluded areas and will look to nest in your attic using insulation and other stored items for shelter.
- Rats: Even with their bigger size, rats can squeeze their way indoors and up to the attic.
Tips to Prevent Overwintering Pests
Before winter hits, there are a number of ways you can make your property less attractive to pests:
- Trim overhanging tree branches, overgrown bushes, and vines away from your home to limit roof access to pests.
- Secure your chimney with a chimney cap, and install wire mesh over any vents or roof openings.
- Make sure your trash cans are securely stored in your hard with tight-fitting lids.
- In your attic, organize all items and eliminate any clutter. Use plastic bins instead of cardboard boxes for storage
- Inspect both inside out outside the attic, and seal any cracks or crevices with caulk.
Wildlife in the Attic?
If you think there are overwintering pests or wild animals in your attic, it’s important to always enlist the help of a professional pest control company. The residential exterminators at Batzner Pest Control can help protect your home from pests not just in the winter but all year long.