Here in Wisconsin, we are accustomed to rodent infestations in the fall. However, they are surging in number this year due to the pandemic. When restaurants and bars were put on restrictions, rodents were suddenly deprived of one of their top sources of food. This forced them to look elsewhere and to compete for the little resources available. Unfortunately, this has led to a direct increase in infestations. Rodents aren’t just a nuisance—they can be very dangerous if they infest your property. For this reason alone, it’s crucial to learn how to prevent them. This Rodent Awareness Week, the team at Batzner Pest Control is focusing on providing our customers with rodent infestation prevention tips.
Here’s How to Prevent Rodents in 2020
The best form of rodent control is prevention! Try out the following tips to make your property less attractive to rats and mice this season:
- Store food properly. Securely store food in tight-fitting containers with lids.
- Seal holes around pipes. Use caulk or wire wool to cover up gaps and openings near pipes and other openings.
- Cover vents. Install mesh screens on your vents. Also, consider installing screens on doors and windows.
- Use tight lids on trash cans. Rodents love to rummage in the garbage! If possible, keep your trash cans sealed and stored.
- Protect eaves. Fix any damaged roofing and use wire mesh to seal gaps in your eaves.
Are Rodents Tied to COVID-19?
The shelter in place shutdowns caused an uptick in residential rodent sightings as rats and mice became bolder in their hunt for resources. This has since caused an uptick in infestations and rodent-spread issues. While their presence may be more prevalent than ever, you thankfully do not need to worry about rodents transmitting COVID-19 to you or your family.
That said, rodents still can spread other diseases including hantavirus, salmonellosis, and many more. They also can cause significant damage to your home. With rodents more aggressive in the current moment, they will not hesitate to make themselves at home in your home this winter.
Rodent Awareness Week 2020
With the pandemic, rodent problems have exacerbated. This makes it more important than ever to ensure your home and family are protected against rodents. The team at Batzner is ready to help. Our rodent exterminators will work with you to ensure your property is safe from rodents all year long.