Rodents are one of the most dreaded pest problems. They are especially troublesome in the fall when the weather changes. Before wintertime, rodents come inside to escape cooling temperatures and to seek out shelter and food. Rodents are dangerous not only because they are destructive, but because they can spread germs and disease as well. At Batzner Pest Control, we know how important it is to keep your family safe from rodents. We also know you want to feel comfortable in your home and enjoy the fall season without worrying about rats or mice! Keep reading to learn how to protect your home from rodents this fall and all year long.
How do Rats and Mice Get Inside?
Rodents aren’t exactly subtle, and it can be easy to tell when you have a rat or mouse problem in your property. But where do rodents take shelter? Rats and mice will take shelter in the attic, basement, and garage. They also will infest kitchens, laundry rooms, and are highly likely to invade your trash cans if given the chance. Mice can scale walls, squeeze through tiny openings, jump, and build nests in just about any room you can imagine. A rat or mouse problem often begins when the rodents get in through your chimney, pipes, air vents, and more. This is why it’s so important to protect your property from rats and mice.
Tips to Prevent Rodents in Your Home
To avoid the frustration of rats and mice in your home, it’s important to learn how to keep them out in the first place. Our top tips for keeping rodents out are as follows:
- Cover vents. Install mesh screens on your vents. Also, consider installing screens on doors and windows.
- Use tight lids on trash cans. Rodents love to rummage in the garbage! If possible, keep your trash cans sealed and stored.
- Protect eaves. Fix any damaged roofing and use wire mesh to seal gaps in your eaves.
- Store food properly. Securely store food in tight-fitting containers with lids.
- Seal holes around pipes. Use caulk or wire wool to cover up gaps and openings near pipes and other openings.
Fall Rodents in Wisconsin
The last thing you want to deal with in the fall season is a rat or mouse problem in your property. Rodents can be a pain to deal with: not only do they spread germs and bacteria, but they also will chew wires in your home and make a mess while nesting. As soon as you suspect the signs of rodents inside, call the team at Batzner. Our rodent exterminators can help control current infestations and prevent future ones from happening.