Everyone knows that pests are in their prime during the spring and summer, but what happens to pests in the winter? While some insects die off before Wisconsin winters hit, there are a number of pests that will stick around and may make their way into your home to escape the cold. Some common winter pests problems come from rodents, cockroaches, spiders, bed bugs, and raccoons. Keep reading for top tips on preventing winter pests from the experts at Batzner Pest Control.
Pest Infestations in the Winter
A lot of pests will overwinter—or hibernate—during the colder months until the weather warms up again. These overwintering pests include ants, mosquitoes, stink bugs, asian lady beetles, and boxelder bugs. For the most part, these pests won’t be seen until the springtime. However, there are a number of other types of pests that may invade your WI home to escape the cold, including:
- Rodents: The house mouse and Norway rat will squeeze their way inside in the winter.
- Spiders: House spiders will hide indoors in dark, secluded corners.
- Cockroaches: German cockroaches hitchhike indoors in grocery bags and boxes.
- Bed bugs: Known to withstand extreme temperatures, infestations are still a risk in the winter.
How to Prevent Seasonal Pests
Just as you would to prevent pests throughout the entire year, winter pest control is dependent on preventative measures. Some of the things you can do to prevent winter pests include:
- Seal cracks and crevices outside your home to keep rodents and other pests from making their way inside.
- Store firewood away from the home and eliminate piles of clutter in your yard to discourage nesting.
- Eliminate sources of excess moisture by promptly fixing leaking pipes and clogged drains.
- Place screens over vents and chimneys to eliminate entry points inside the property.
- Keep a tidy environment indoors by cleaning up spills, disposing of garbage regularly, and avoiding clutter.
Winter Pest Control
Many people make the mistake of thinking they’re safe from pests in the winter. But just like you, pests seek out food sources and warmth in the winter. Rodents, cockroaches, and spiders are common pest infestations in the winter, which is why it’s so important to implement winter pest control into your routine. For help protecting your Wisconsin property this winter, call the pest exterminators at Batzner today!