For more than 30 years, the National Pest Management Association (NPMA) has dedicated the month of April as National Pest Management Month. NPMA has recognized the importance of the role that pest-proofing plays in protecting your family and your home from threats caused by pests.
The start of spring is the perfect time to review your pest-proofing procedures. Taking a few simple steps to block a pest’s entry into your home could greatly reduce the likeliness you’d see them indoors. By understanding what attracts bugs to your home, you can begin making changes that will help prevent infestations.
Just like you or I, bugs need food, water and shelter. By eliminating their food supply and getting rid of their favorite hiding spots, you can reduce the amount of bugs that take up residence in your home. Of course, the best way to prevent an infestation is to keep bugs out entirely.
During April, Batzner recommends the following pest-proofing actions:
- Inspect the foundation of the house and seal any cracks on the outside of the home with a silicone-based caulk, including entry points for utilities and pipes.
- Replace weather-stripping and repair loose mortar around the foundation and windows.
- Eliminate sources of standing water around the house, including birdbaths and in clogged gutters.
- Trim tree branches and bushes away from the roof or the house.
- Inspect and repair any damaged screens on windows and doors.
- Remove any rotted tree stumps and keep mulch away from your house.
- Repair fascia and rotted roof shingles.
- Wipe kitchen counters frequently and empty the garbage regularly.
- Seal all food containers tightly.
- Avoid leaving your pet’s food dish out for an extended amount of time.
- Keep basements, attics, and crawl spaces well ventilated and dry.
- Store garbage in sealed containers and dispose of it regularly.
If you see any signs of pests, or suspect an infestation, be sure to reach out immediately. to the professionals at Batzner Pest Control.