Summer is just around the corner in Wisconsin, and everyone is looking forward to warmer temperatures and more opportunities to spend time outdoors. Unfortunately, mosquitoes love the warm weather as much as you do! In the coming months, mosquitoes are bound to put a damper on your outdoor events. To avoid that, now is the time to learn how to prevent mosquitoes. The team at Batzner Pest Control is here to share their top tips and tricks for mosquito prevention.
5 Ways to Prevent Mosquitoes
To avoid dealing with a mosquito problem in your yard this year, it’s best to get rid of the things that make your yard attractive to them in the first place. By following these tips, you should be able to reduce the amount of mosquitoes on your property:
- Eliminate all standing water. Get rid of standing water in buckets, flower pots, bird baths, tarps, and more. Mosquitoes use standing water to breed!
- Install screens on windows and doors. Installing screens on your doors and windows can keep mosquitoes from getting indoors every time you try to get some fresh air.
- Place fish in ponds and agitate the water. Certain types of fish will feed on mosquito larvae. In addition, adding an agitator will stop mosquitoes from laying eggs in the water.
- Keep a tidy yard. Regularly maintain your garden and lawn to keep the grass short. Also keep plants and bushes trimmed to prevent mosquito resting spots.
- Use fans in your outdoor area. Mosquitoes hate wind and are not strong fliers. Use fans to help force them away from your outdoor areas.
Preventing Mosquito Bites in the Summer
If you plan on spending time outside in the coming months, it’s important to know how to protect yourself against mosquito bites. In general, it’s best to avoid going outdoors at dusk and dawn, as this is when mosquitoes are most active. When you do venture outside, wear long-sleeved pants and shirts. It’s also best to wear light-colored clothing. Following the manufacturer’s instructions, consider applying insect repellent that contains DEET. If you plan on using it on your children, always consult your pediatrician before use.
Summertime Mosquito Control
Mosquitoes can be a huge nuisance in the summertime. They’re also dangerous. It’s important to do all you can to prevent mosquitoes–if the above tips don’t seem to help, it’s time to call the experts at Batzner. Our mosquito exterminators will work with you to determine the best course of action in keeping mosquitoes away. Contact us today!
Need a pest control estimate?
We'll call you! Our representatives are fast and friendly.