If you’ve had an ant problem before, you know what a pain they can be. During Wisconsin summers, ant infestations spike in numbers. There’s a reason why ants are considered to be the number 1 nuisance pest in the nation: not only are they annoying, they are infamously difficult to get rid of without the help of a professional! To avoid the frustration of ants to begin with, it’s important to learn how to prevent an ant infestation in the first place. The experts at Batzner Pest Control have years of experience controlling ants and are sharing their expert tips for keeping ants out.
Common Summertime Ants
Ants are a pest problem all year long. There are more than 700 types of ants in the nation, but thankfully, you’ll likely only encounter a few in your area. It’s important to know what type of ant you’re dealing with–different types of ants pose different dangers. Some of the most common types of ants you’ll likely encounter include:
6 Steps to Prevent an Ant Infestation
Once ants get indoors, they can spread easily. One ant colony can quickly turn into multiple! To avoid dealing with the distress of an ant problem, there are several things you can do to keep them out in the first place. Our expert tips for preventing ant infestations include:
- Keeping a clean home. Sweep your floors regularly to get rid of crumbs. Ants are attracted to sugary food sources and a few crumbs will keep them coming back for more.
- Storing food properly. Avoid leaving food out uncovered. Keep food in airtight containers or store them safely in cupboards and fridges.
- Sealing entry points. Ants can crawl through the tiniest of cracks. Inspect your property and use caulk to seal any gaps, holes, or potential entry ways.
- Avoiding excess moisture. Areas with standing water or leaks will attract ants quickly. Attend to broken pipes and clean up spills quickly.
- Trimming back trees and vegetation. Plants close to your home can encourage ants to come in. Make sure tree branches, shrubs, and bushes are trimmed away from the perimeter!
- Picking up your pet’s food. Crumbs and spills from your cat or dog’s food and water bowls can be a huge attractant for ants. Always clean up and store bowls between mealtimes.
Summer Ant Problems in Wisconsin
Preventing ants can seem difficult. Ants are pesky and will gladly enter your property to seek out food and shelter. If you’ve done everything you can to keep ants out and still are noticing the signs of an infestation, it’s time to call the Batzner ant exterminators. We are committed to providing you with ant-free living not just in the summer but all year long!