Every year, nearly 30 million households bring a real Christmas tree into their home. Not only are Christmas trees beautiful to look at, they’re fun to decorate, too! However, Christmas trees may harbor as many as 20,000 insects!
No one wants to deal with a pest infestation this time of year, which is why it’s important to learn how to prevent Christmas tree pests from making their way into your home. Keep reading for Batzner’s top tips on Christmas tree bug prevention!
Common Christmas Tree Bugs
Christmas tree bugs are typically tiny, and are mostly harmless. In fact, most of these insects aren’t adapted to live indoors and will die off within a few days. The most typical Christmas tree insects you may find in your real tree include:
- Aphids: Perhaps the most common insect in Christmas trees, aphids are usually found in the lower branches of evergreen, balsam fir, spruce, Fraser firs, or white fir trees.
- Bark beetles: These wood-boring insects are about the size of a grain of rice. Holes in the branches or trunk of your tree—or sawdust on your floor—are signs of bark beetles.
- Mites: These minuscule bugs cause needle loss in Douglas firs, white pines, spruce trees, or Fraser firs.
- Spiders: Probably the most feared Christmas tree pest is the spider! Spider egg sacs hidden within Christmas trees can cause homeowners a lot of grief.
- Praying mantises: These identifiable insects are large, green, and harmless. Praying mantis egg sacs are also commonly found in Christmas trees.
How to Prevent a Christmas Tree Pest Infestation
If you’re a homeowner, the last thing you want to deal with during the holidays is a pest infestation. The most crucial step in preventing Christmas tree insects is to thoroughly inspect the tree by looking for irregularities, damage, or pests. Once you’ve chosen a winner, request to have the tree shaken out by a Christmas tree lot attendant to expel bugs. Lastly, it’s smart to store your tree in your garage or other covered area outside to encourage any lingering bugs to vacate the Christmas tree.
Christmas Tree Insect Control & Removal
If you’ve brought home an infested Christmas tree, there’s no reason to panic. Christmas tree bugs are typically harmless and won’t cause damage. If you need advice on getting rid of the bugs or want more tips on preventing Christmas tree pests, call the experts at Batzner Pest Control!