How to Prevent Mosquito Bites in Wisconsin
During the warmer months in Wisconsin, mosquitoes are in full force. To avoid dealing with mosquito bites, there are several ways that you can protect yourself:
- Schedule outdoor activities at the right times. Mosquitoes are most active at dawn and dusk, so midday or nighttime activities are best.
- Get rid of any sources of standing water in your yard that could be attracting mosquitoes.
- Cover exposed skin by wearing long-sleeved shirts and pants.
- Apply an EPA-approved insect repellent to both skin and clothes. Always consult your pediatrician before use on children.
What to Wear to Prevent Mosquito Bites
Mosquitoes won’t hesitate to bite on any exposed skin, which means your arms, legs, neck, feet, and hands are all vulnerable. When possible, it’s ideal to wear long-sleeved shirts or any other clothing that will limit skin exposure. Wearing pants tucked into socks will keep your legs protected. It might not be comfortable to wear protective clothing in the warm summer weather, so if you have exposed skin, consider using an EPA-registered insect repellent to keep mosquitoes away.
Do You Have a Mosquito Problem? We Can Help.
Click the button below to leave your information & we'll be in touch in an hour or less.
How to Prevent Mosquito Bites Overnight
Mosquito activity is the highest at dawn and dusk. Many people have woken up during a camping trip or a night with the windows open only to discover they’ve been attacked by mosquitoes while they slept. Some of the ways you can prevent this from happening are to:
- Set up mosquito nets before sleeping.
- Wear brightly-colored clothing with long sleeves.
- Sleep with a fan on, as mosquitoes aren’t strong enough to fly through the wind.
- Use an EPA-approved bug spray.
- Shower before bed to eliminate any odors.
- When indoors, keep your windows shut.
How to Prevent Mosquito Bites on Pets
Mosquitoes won’t just target you, they’ll also go after your cats and dogs. Ask your vet about what repellent you should use on your pets. You should also avoid walking your dog at dawn or dusk, when mosquitoes are most active. In the spring, eliminate standing water in your yard so that mosquitoes won’t make it their home for the season. Also, be sure to look for itching or other signs that your pets have mosquito bites.
How To Prevent Mosquito Bites In Wisconsin in Wisconsin