It’s no secret that bed bugs are seriously creepy creatures. After all, they like to live near your bed and feed on your blood while you’re sleeping. Disturbing, right? If you think you may have bed bugs, you should look in two places for evidence: on your body and in your room.
Evidence on Your Body
The primary sign of bed bugs on your body are red, itchy bites, usually appearing on skin that’s exposed while sleeping. Bed bugs might be present if you are waking up with bites you can’t explain. The biting pattern is usually in straight rows, unlike the sporadic biting of other insects. Also look for:
- Raised, red welts
- Burning and itching
- Bed bug bite rash across localized area
Evidence in the Room
Bed bugs are clever enough to hide during the day but leave behind the evidence of their blood-thirsty crimes. Their carelessness is one of the best indicators your room is overrun with bed bugs. You will often see evidence of a bed bug infestation without actually seeing any bed bugs. Below are secondary signs you can look for.
- Fecal stains in the areas they inhabit
- Fecal spots will not flake off if rubbed and will smear if wiped with a wet rag
- Fecal stains will be black due to the digested blood that is excreted. A red stain may be found only if you crush a bed bug that has recently fed.
- A clear bed bug shell, or exoskeleton, which is shed as the bed bug grows larger
I Have Evidence of Bed Bugs, But How Do I Find Them?
Bed bugs hide in a variety of places when they are not feeding. Their favorite spots include around the bed, near seams and tags of mattresses and box springs, and in cracks on the bed frame and headboard. If the room is heavily infested, bed bugs may be found in these additional places:
- In seams of chairs and couches, between cushions, in the folds of curtains
- In drawer joints
- Under loose wall paper and wall hangings
- At the junction where the wall and the ceiling meet
If you think bed bugs have invaded your home, call 262-797-4160 or contact Batzner online today! Our team of specialists will discuss treatment options and recommend the right plan for your property. Sleep well again and get all the beauty rest you deserve.