Winter is in full swing. And while this may mean things are slowing down in the lives of bees and ants, there are many pests whose winters are still busy. The last thing you want are extra guests in your house over the winter. Here are a few helpful tips from the National Pest Management Association for how you can pest-proof your home this winter:
- Screen attic vents and openings to chimneys
- Eliminate moisture sites, including leaking pipes and clogged drains
- Seal cracks and crevices on the outside of the home using caulk and steel wool. Pay close attention where utility pipes enter the structure
- Store food in airtight containers and dispose of garbage regularly in sealed receptacles
- Replace loose mortar and weather stripping around the basement foundation and windows
- Store firewood at least 20 feet away from the house; keep shrubbery well-trimmed
- Install door sweeps and repair damaged screens
- Inspect items such as boxes of decorations and grocery bags before bringing them indoors
- Properly take care of holiday decorations before they are set up and before they are stored or discarded
Remember, it’s always best to contact a professional if you suspect an infestation of any kind. Batzner has been protecting Wisconsin homes for over 70 years. Our experienced service specialists are the best in the business at handling any type of pest, and would love to help keep your home pest-free this winter season—and beyond!
Need a pest control estimate?
We'll call you! Our representatives are fast and friendly.
9 Tips to Pest-Proof Your Home During Winter in Wisconsin